Hi friends! Today you have a wonderful opportunity to not read my ramblings, but instead, read the coherent thoughts of Abby! She is a phenomenal runner and and inspiring blogger.
If you need me, I’ll be by the margaritas for round one of my brothers wedding extravaganza!
Hi guys, I’m Abby and I normally blog over at BackatSquare0, but am extremely excited to be here with you all today. My blog focuses on my story of learning to live healthy. One of the biggest steps along this journey has been getting active and learning to be consistent with my exercise. I discovered I actually enjoy running (most days) and set a goal – to turn myself from the girl who couldn’t even run to her own mailbox into a marathon runner. I’m currently training for my second, the Marine Corp Marathon, this October in DC.
One thing I get asked a lot by people who are just beginning their journey as a runner is- What do I need? You could spend thousands buying all sorts of running equipment. However, you don’t have to… I’ll fill you in on the must have essentials, those things you need to begin running.
1. Quality Running Shoes – Spend some money to get great shoes. You’re feet will be going through a lot and your body will thank you for it. If you have never been fitted before go to a running shoe store to have this professionally done. (I’m personally a Mizuno girl.)
2. Crops or Pants that Fit – Spending an entire run pulling your pants up is the most obnoxious feeling ever. In my personal opinion next to your shoes these are the most important piece of running clothing. You need something that will stay securely in place. Go to a store and try on many varieties to find a pair that works for you.
3. Bright Safety Gear – If you get home late from work or class and need to squeeze in a run it is so important to be safe and be seen by cars. Invest in some neon run gear and a blinking light that will clip on to your outfit.
4. Correct Hydration – It is extremely important to stay hydrated. Invest in a water bottle or belt you can take with you on long runs and consider buying special sports rehydration beverages for after long or tough workouts. (I have found I really like Nuun tablets)
5. Recovery & Rest – You must take care of your body in order to continue running. Give yourself rest days and consider investing in a foam roller to treat your sore muscles right. (My foam roller even goes on vacation with me.)
I’d love to hear about your journey. If you ever have any questions, need motivation, or just want someone to brag to about how you stuck to your goals please let me know.
Please feel free to connect with me:
Follow my blog at: http://backatsquarezero.com
Facebook it: http://www.facebook.com/BackAtSquare0
Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/BackAtSquare0
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/BackAtSquare0
Email me: BackAtSquareZero@gmail.com